Yes, the stationary bike was my worst nightmare on Tuesday. I'm not sure what I really expected when I signed the paper agreeing that I would attend class the next day.For those of you who have never heard of an RPM (spin class) it is a 50 minute indoor cycling class based on outdoor riding. You ride to music over the equivalent of 20-25 kilometres of varied terrain, controlling the intensity of your workout with a resistance dial and pedal speed. Approx. 600 Calories lost per session.
The 600 Calories lost per session should have been an eye opener. Nothing that I consider enjoyable burns 600 calories in 50 minutes.
I started the class thinking, "this will be fun for about 5 minutes." Then I thought okay just get through the first part of class. After what felt like hours I successfully made it through the beginning of class. I wasn't strong enough to perform the "up hill climb" but I could manage the speed and resistance. However, when the second part of the class came around I was singing a different tune. Let me put it this way.... My thought at one point was "if I pass out will my feet come out of the locked stirrups or will I just slump over." Yes, it was that bad. I have never been through a work out that was that hard! I ended up finishing the class with out falling of the bike, throwing up, or passing out and that was enough for me.
I realized that it was a great work out and I will try to give it a few more tries before I give up on the class. Hopefully next time it won't be as bad!


No comments:
Post a Comment